Signs of Reactive Leadership Mode
Here are some signs you might be acting primarily in a Reactive Leadership mode:
1. You battle feeling burnt out
2. You frequently backburner learning new things and personally developing
3. You spend more time putting out fires vs spending time preventing future fires
4. You haven't set any personal career goals in awhile
5. You get emotionally hijacked by employees or customers
6. You stress about employees potentially quitting
7. You leave high-priority tasks uncompleted due to being too busy
8. You haven't yet discovered your "Why"
If you relate to any of these, it may be that you need to take more proactive leadership actions within your leadership style.
Proactive leadership is identifying areas of risk for you and your team, and working on measures that will reduce their impact, or even prevent them from happening altogether.
A quick way to take proactive action is by just asking your employees a few questions and then using those answers to inform some planning and future actions:
1. Why do you choose to work here?
2. If you were to quit tomorrow, what would be your top 3 reasons?
3. What's one thing you wish you could change about your job?
4. What's your favorite part of working here?